Tuesday 13 December 2016

Construction Process: Digi Pack

Making the Digi Pack:

The initial step to constructing the digi pak was to get stills from the footage we shot that we could use alongside some shots that we took specifically for the digi pak.
Here were some of the stills that i thought had potential  to look most effective:

THE LOGO:
Having previously explored different digi-pak designs I was aware of all the necessary elements and the next step I decided to take is create a logo for 'our' 'record company' in a software called 'logo- maker'.
Taking a look at real Record Label logos we realised that they are mainly simple and mainly in black and white and so adhered to this convention.



We know the importance of audience feedback when it comes to media product creation so sought advice even at this stage, allowing our friends and colleagues to vote on the logo they preferred with the options as follows:

Some feedback we received:

  • 'Number 3 looks a bit more like a film production company rather than a record company'
  • '1 is subtle and looks professional like a real logo'
  • 'It looks more authentic with the text all on one line, but I'm not too keen on the font of 4 so definitely between 5 and 1'
     We went with the majority favourite number 1.

The next necessary element to pair with the logo was the copyright information. I viewed other CD's copyright information and altered it to fit our label to gain the most authentic look:




THE NAME OF THE ALBUM:
I felt that the most appropriate choice would be to go for an eponymous/self-titled album; many artists' albums are named after them; especially first time releases. Considering this would be our artist's first album release it would be appropriate that the album was named after him, this is an effective way of getting an artist's name 'out there'.
Some examples of self-titled albums:


PANEL DESIGNS:




Alternative Digi Pack Design:






I based the copyright information text on that of a real product; namely the back of a 'The Who' CD.

A MOCK-UP OF THE FIRST VERSION I HAD PICKED:

After having sought audience feedback, my friend advised that I add the album title to the CD design:


INNER BOOKLET:

Lyric booklet pages:











I decided to use Brayton's real lyrics considering the fact that he has multiple soundcloud releases. i had expected a few to be typed up on the internet (Jaywalk was) but thought I'd have to listen to some carefully to note the lyrics, however the lyrics to all the songs I had listed on the back cover of my digi-pak were easily located on the internet:

(above are two examples of the lyrics)

It was important to make sure that all the lyrics are in order of the songs on the album; this is a convention of digi-paks which makes it easier for the user to navigate.


The final set up I decided on for the digi-pak lyric booklet was:





Update:
After receiving further audience feedback, it was pointed out to me that the DigiPak net would not work in practice as if the net was folded the inside image would be upside down; since then I have implemented these changes:













No comments:

Post a Comment